“What Items do I need in a First Aid / Trauma Kit?”
I see this question often online in various forums and they are all asking the wrong question. Too often I see people trying to compensate for their lack of skills, training and knowledge by buying gear. Too many people buy gear beccuase of the “cool factor” but have limited or no idea on how to use any of it. Get training first, and the rest will follow. Ultimiately fundamental skills and training are what will be the most effiecient and productive way in solving your problems.
My journey in learning first aid / trauma skills:
- Boy Scouts withe First Aid Merit badge
- American Red Cross Lifeguard
- PADI Rescue Diver
- PADI Emergency Oxygen Provider
- EMT-Basic (Texas)
- Wilderness First Aid (WMA)
- Wilderness First Responder (NOLS)
- American Red Cross First Aid/CPR (Human/Dog/Cat)
- Maine Association for Search and Rescue Certified Search Team Member
- Tactical Emergency Medicine (Dark Angel)
- Tactical Emergency Medicine (Deployment Medicine International)
- Tactical Emergency Medicine (Tactical Development Group)
By getting training, I was able to determine what gear I was qualified to use and what was actually needed for my first aid/trauma kit.
Legit Medical Suppliers for First Aid & Trauma Gear:
For a complete list of the items that comes with the kit, look under the “Supply List” tab on the above link.
Sign up for my free newsletter
All the latest information on portable operating in the amateur radio world.